1.23.2014

The Mannequins Around You

Are you a conscience shopper? How often do you walk into your favorite store and buy the exact same outfit as the mannequin? Or are you a picky shopper, you go the store to pick up that one item you've had your eye on all week. 

I'm an extremely picky shopper, I don't think I'm ever persuaded by the mannequins in the store. Honestly I don't think I ever payed much attention to merchandising until I became a merchandiser, now I analyze everything!

After work I decided to kill some time in Times Square and watch the snow fall until, I spotted the H&M sign! I haven't really enjoyed shopping at H&M much since moving to NYC, it's always over crowded with merchandise thrown all around. Just think of your local H&M but 10x worse. The Times Square H&M is a fairly new store and is also New York City's flagship store, so my expectations were pretty high. 

They had to have at least 50 mannequins or more placed throughout the entire store, maybe about 5 or 6 per section. I wasn't concerned about there outfits either. I payed very close attention to their style, as if they were alive and filled with swagg. I observed everything from the Rapunzel  black and white Cruella de Vil wigs to the razor sharp Asian bob mannequins outfitted in business attire. How about those grey and purple wig mannequins draped in soft denim and lavender. I was in total awe and my insides were filled with inspiration. I was inspired by the overall appearance of the store it was very inviting and also very empty. I'm sure this had a lot to do with the snow storm that had been taking place.  

Granting all of this, I work at American Apparel so I have an abnormal eye for creativity, check out this link to see exactly what I mean here.  


Below is a short video clip from my flagship experience.




Okay I know, my videography skills aren't that great, but hey cut me some slack this my first video. I created this video on iMovie. I'm unsure why it's so blurry but it didn't look this way on the program. Do you guys have any suggestions for other video programs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment